Wednesday, October 1, 2008

It all starts with a phone call...

Mia calls Mike. Mike calls the producer and liveshot coordinator. Within seconds, information has been dispersed throughout the newsroom and we are all in the know on what's going on.

Today, it was weapons found on campus at a Tulsa high school. Thanks to fast and efficient work, we got the word out to the public. Also, we were first. In this business, that's key.

When I got the call, I was getting some delicious coffee from Java Dave's. Come on, cut me a little slack, it was my lunch break. Lunch ended early as I sped back to the station, ready to tune in the liveshot. Oh, by the way, I'm the liveshot coordinator. Actually, that's one of several hats I seem to wear, but that's a story for another time. The point is, no matter where we are, when breaking news happens, we head back to the newsroom, or to the scene, or wherever we're needed to get the story and get it to you.

My coffee was delicious by the way. Thanks for asking.

* Drinking milk in China has become the new drinking water in Mexico. Just don't do it.

* Tulsa PD is taking a page from the Batman playbook at the fair this year, monitoring potential crime from the rooftops.

* Speaking of the Caped Crusader, looks like his protege is getting his own show. No word on whether Ace the Bat-hound is in talks with Animal Planet.

* Tulsans can't find the new City Hall! I love how an OKC-based newspaper is reporting this. I know the "other" city in Oklahoma has slow news days from time to time, but come on, you stay over there, we'll stay over here.

* Nobel Prize judges call Americans dumb! Haha, we have the last laugh. Everyone knows it's spelled "noble." Wait, what...

* Jamband Phish returns to the stage in 2009! Who's got my extra?!?

* Stephen Colbert is teaming up with Spider-Man. It's not the Bill O'Reilly vs. the Hulk battle I've been waiting for, but it will suffice.

* Apprently, in Japan, there are places with couches and chairs where you watch videos and even spend the night. We have them here, too. They're called apartments.

* 6-year old named "living goddess" in Nepal. No pressure, kid.

* Finally, if Tulsa Transit would install these, I bet public transportation use would rise exponentially.

No comments: