Thursday, October 2, 2008

Guns and follow-up and last minute changes...

Sharon, Brian, and Lee were at Booker T. Washington High School this morning, following up on yesterday's guns at school action. Guns at a school is one of those stories that can keep a newsroom busy for days. There's so much that can be born from that concept. School security, the ease of purchasing a firearm, and whether or not that "shoot the water into the mouth of the clown" game at the Fair actually helps firearm aim are all ideas this single event from yesterday could lead to.

About mid-morning, the principal at Booker T. decided he'd had enough of our presence on his campus, and told the crew to get off the property. He told us this about a minute and a half before Sharon was supposed to go live. Lee called me quick. "We have to break down and move."

I jumped on the two-way with Lydia, producer for the 7am hour. "Float the shot!"

I heard her telling the rest of the crew in the booth and on the set. "We're floating Sharon!"

And suddenly, with only seconds to spare, content was moved around to fill the hole. If you didn't notice anything at home, then everyone here did their job right. That's sort of the litmus test for how well crises are handled here, whether or not you notice. If you think everything's fine, we win.

* AIDS traced back nearly 100 years! This is the perfect time to mention the AIDS Walk, coming up a week from Saturday. This epidemic has only been prevalent in the public consciousness for under thirty years, so if this 100 year realization is accurate, we've been seriously slacking. So, get your butt out there on 10/11, get some exercise, and let's find a cure!

* More pirates in the news! Next up, ninjas!

* Okay, I will wait for ninjas as long as I can have medieval weaponry in the meantime.

* Hey, guess what? You now have New Year's plans! Lucky you! Say hi to Wayne for me.

* The new promo poster for the next Harry Potter has me really excited about the upcoming movie. I didn't even know the Purple One taught at Hogwarts!

* The perfect refrigerator for roommates has finally been created! Where was this when I was in college? My buddy Brian still owes me 15 gallons of milk and 212 bags of Ramen.

* LA train crash may be connected to text messaging. Is that why he never replied?

* One half of Outkast starts his own clothing line! He's probably not going to be happy with me still calling him "one half of Outkast," but that's how I'll always remember him.

* Speaking of Andre Benjamin (woops), out of the new pro-voting ads showing up, his is the lamest. A bowtie? Seriously? Just take it out of your mouth. Then go vote. Not rocket science, people.

* George Clooney doesn't regret being Batman! Well, that's too bad, George, because the rest of us sure do...

* Finally, looks like I may have found my next job. Wish me luck, folks!

No comments: