Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Back in the saddle...

There's a weird disconnect that sets in once you've immersed yourself in news only to be pulled away from it. Mid-Sunday, I began to lose a battle against the ghost of a cow determined to punish me on behalf of his bovine brethren. This loss carried through Monday, and I spent the day away from my most favorite place in the whole world, the FOX23 newsroom.

Coming in this morning, I was inundated with countless emails and RSS Feed updates. Quickly overwhelmed, I retreated under my desk and wept.

Eventually, the tears passed, and I began to make sense of the news I had missed. For instance, of course, there was this story, where Tulsa Police shot and killed a car thief. There's also this Solving Problems story, about preventing Identity Theft. There's more, but I have a DIY Mega Man costume I want to show you. The point is, news always happens, problems always need solving, and missing a day means missing so much more than just a day. Lucky for you, my Internet-surfing brethren, FOX23.com is just a few clicks away, keeping you in the loop on Tulsa's most important stories.

In other news, we received an email on Cloud 9, a local gentleman's club, and how the practices therein may not be the most above-the-board. Of course, we dispatched several crews and went live all morning, talking about how a strip club may, in fact, be a shady place to be.

No, we didn't. But we did laugh about it. A lot. We're not going to waste your time. If you think there's some less-than-stellar activity going on at a local "gentleman's" club, you don't have inside information, you simply have eyes.

Now, onto the Mega Man costume:

It's right here! See, when I was 11, I wanted to be Mega Man for Halloween. Now, my mom didn't have this handy how-to, and I had to be a lame skeleton instead. So, for all you moms out there who want to be cool, save this information!

A study in LA finds cops there stopping more African-Americans than Caucasians. Not studied: how this study could have been conducted by simply "asking around." Also not studied: how many white people actually call themselves "caucasians."

The Army working on telepathy.
Next up, the new don't-ask-don't-tell-don't-even-think-it policy.

This is fun. Americans are angry, worried... I love when commas are used in story headlines, to make ideas sound more important. It's the equivalent of me saying "I went to the store, bank, gas station, your girlfriend's house, Taco Bueno, newsroom. Dude, the word "and" was invented for a reason. Commas are great, you may have noticed my affinity, but let's try not to sound too smart for our own good.

Hand signals replace common decency! This looks fun. I'm sure that middle finger setting will never be used.

Got an STD?! Responsibility is not your problem anymore! Now you can send anonymous emails to let people know you may have ruined their lives.

No comments: