Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Some days are busier, part 2...

Oddly, Scott wasn't angered by the lashings I dished out in yesterday's post. I swear, that guy is like a perpetual positivity machine, always quick with a supportive statement or rhetorical pat on the back. It's enough to make me want to eat glass.

Instead of succumbing to my written abuse, he offered the constructive criticism that I should perhaps explain who everyone is before I start referring to them here on a first name basis. I think I'll handle these a few at a time, or at least until I get bored and decide to talk about Batman.

Let's start with reporter Sharon Phillips and photographer Lee Carter. Although these two don't typically work together, they were thrust together by fate this morning, with "fate" meaning "Sharon's regular photographer Brian was running prompter."

Oh, by the way, we're looking for a prompter operator. Apply within.

Anyway, Lee and Sharon were joined in the common bond of Breaking News, in a little story I call "The Vapor Cloud that Ate North Peoria!!!!" (!!!) The short version is thus: A chemical plant was transporting some hydrochloric acid. The acid reacted to being moved from the warm inside of a railway car to the cold outside of, well, outside. The reaction took the form of a large cloud of chemicals and water vapor, and hovered over north Peoria like Dracula in mist form. Tulsa Police, Fire, and Emergency Services gathered on the scene to ask one another, "What the heck is that?" Not ones to be left out, we decided to join in the fun.

Hazmat and representatives from the chemical company helped answer the ten million dollar question, and life resumed as normal. It wasn't dangerous, no evacuations were necessary, and even the section of Peoria that had been shut down during the initial scare was quickly reopened. Luckily, too, because other breaking news quickly became a concern. I may talk about that tomorrow.

However, in the meantime, links!

* Russia begins to pull back from Georgia. Augusta residents say "Thanks for taking all the gas, jerks!"

* The king of America has been found! Listen, I'm not all that jazzed about the election, either, but I highly doubt monarchy is the way to go.

* North Korea wastes perfectly good missiles. Well, that or they were trying to one-up "dynamite fishing."

* Nick Nolte has to crawl through a window to escape his burning home! Next week, Gary Busey must slice open and sleep inside the belly of a Yeti to survive an unusually cold night.

* Rentals up in these tough economic times. Oh, guys, you should have said something. You could have crashed at my place.

* Original director says new Street Fighter film should be better. "Should" be better? That's like saying Reese's Peanut Butter Cups "might" be better than losing a toe in a wood chipper.

* This one's for Katie, our 5pm producer, whom I'm convinced does not read this blog. Anyway, she thinks this is Shyamalan's worst movie, when I know perfectly well it's his best.

* Last day to sign up for the lottery to purchase tickets for Phish! Mere hours left to re-cement my hippie cred.

* Comic book writer blogs about the debate! And the award for least important commentary ever goes to....

No comments: