Monday, November 24, 2008

Epic fail!

One of my favorite responsibilities is monitoring the other networks. Typically, I use their websites to do this, since in these days of breaking news the Internet has become the best place to bring news to the public right freaking now. However, in the rush to get it first, people often forget to get it right. I know, you'd think that would be priority #1. Often not so much.

Example: I see a story on a competitors website. Mike and I sent a photographer to the scene of the story earlier this morning, but the info on the competitors site is different than what our photographer got. So, Mike calls Tulsa PD and checks the information. Sure enough, we're right and the competition was wrong. So, Mike gets the scheudenfreudely satisfying feeling of proving the competition wrong. Sure, it's petty, but you realize we're in the news business, right? Telling the news, and telling it accurately, it's sorta what we do.

Ah, German words for "enjoy the epic fail of others." I love language. Don't you?

Anyway, links:

I find it ironic that the same day Scott the Evil Producer gives me more grief than usual about smoking is the same day CNN posts a story about a pill that may be as useful as Chemo in lung cancer patients. I won't be quitting this week. Hey, Scott, want a smoke? It's never too late to start!

Okay, here's a fun two-parter for you folks at home.
Here's how to properly handle a bridge.
And here's how NOT to.
See, The DB! Fun AND educational!

Lydia loves Star Trek: But she also loves Harry Potter!

Scott's iPhone Needs: To tell him when he's drunk. This isn't a joke, either. It's a deep, heartfelt attempt to help get him sober. All morning long I see him throwing back shots of hard liquor. Oftentimes, he is slurring his speech so bad the other producers can't understand. Just yesterday, he hurled on my desk. Hello? Is anybody buying any of this? Not a word? You think I'm just trying to get him in trouble? Fine.... Stupid precedent...

Holy Geez! It's a mutant! But it's a cute kitty mutant! That's a little bit better, right?

The Onion finally has a pharmaceutical designed just for me. And goth chicks.

Do you hate the Star Wars prequels? Yeah, most of us thinking, feeling humans do, and here's some more awesome reasons why!

If this wallpaper is even remotely affordable, I'm buying it.

No Batman this week. Although issue #681 comes out this week. Did you see that? 681?!?! There's more issues of Batman than countries in the world. More than combined dates of everyone I know. More than the amount of times women have swooned for Antonio Banderas. More than the number of husbands Elizabeth Taylor had.

But there's not, however, more issues of Batman than reasons Scott is evil. Not even close.

No comments: